www.flickr.com
mjbonen's items Go to mjbonen's photostream
REMEMBER TO BECOME A "FOLLOWER!" Click on the sidebar!

I LOVE TO RECEIVE "COMMENTS" TOO...SO SPEAK UP!!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

just an update...

The building (shell) is still standing, the fire is out...now the dilemma of having this building demolished exists. I have spoken with the family and as serious as this problem may be, having the necessary monies to do so is also quite important. They have discovered that they were definitely "under insured", which is usually the case, and demolition bids are coming in between $80-$100K+. These figures are to just tear it down - NOT haul it away. My heart is breaking for the family. It appears when all is said and done, they will not be able to reopen, as there may not be enough $$$ to rebuild.

I have made the offer to help my former partner rebuild her client files and she has assured me that she will take me up on the offer. Although she had backed up her data, unfortunately all info was on flash drives within her office, not in a fireproof safe. It never fails that we imagine something like this happening to someone else, never ourselves. Thedaughter and I have made this offer seriously, as with our 2 computers going and we are rather quick, we could get her data back in sync in quick time.

I have my camcorder charged and ready for when the demolition begins, and the mayor (friend of mine) has assured me he will call when it is to begin.

Call me dumb though...I asked if a structural engineer has looked at the gutted structure, to give advice on demolition...and the answer is NO. They have spoken with an architectural engineer, who specializes in the wiring of our water systems. The design of this building, in my mind, and the precarious situation now (with free standing walls) demands more specialized knowledge. Guess we will have to wait and see what develops.

We had high winds yesterday (up to 55 mph) and the building withstood that, and 2-4" snow predicted for tonite into tomorrow - could be interesting.

Hopefully, I will have some good video for my next blog....everyone stay healthy and TTFN.

No comments: