www.flickr.com
mjbonen's items Go to mjbonen's photostream
REMEMBER TO BECOME A "FOLLOWER!" Click on the sidebar!

I LOVE TO RECEIVE "COMMENTS" TOO...SO SPEAK UP!!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! TO ALL MOMS!!

My adoptive mother was exactly like Joan Crawford as depicted in "Mommy Dearest" written by Crawford's daughter. So it is no surprise that my adoptive mother idolized this witch. Mother's Day was celebrated with much fanfare, as this was her desire and as children there was no way to escape her and her routines. She never loved the children she chose to adopt - as that was primarily done as window dressing. I had more love and compassion for our housekeeper, which continued till the day she passed away. (And I spent much time with the housekeeper and her family.)

The adoptive mother played every card she knew for sympathy and attention. If we dared to defy her and argue, we were met with many tears and the "how could you treat me like this" line. As the years passed, she even mastered the art of "passing out" on cue. Once I figured out the "tells", I could warn the siblings what she was up to - again.

I have to thank her for one thing only. She taught me how NOT to be an awful, despicable, selfish mother. I think have done a fairly good job with my children - although not perfect by any means. Before I had my biological children, I had the onus of caring for my two stepsons during their childhood maladies, i.e., measles and chicken pox. The weekend visits were a great teaching tool for what lay ahead with my own children.



To all the wonderful mothers in bloggerland, and the ones I know - have a wonderful and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! I hope the weather in your area is favorable to you and your families show their appreciation.

Later my friends....

12 comments:

Grandpa Eddie said...

Happy Mother's Day....mom.

giggles said...

Right back atcha!!!!!!

Utah Savage said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Happy Mother's Day Mom.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

It sounds like your adoptive mother and my crazy aunt (I never ever called her my mother even though she wanted me to) were cut from the same cloth.

lisahgolden said...

Happy Mothers Day! I'm glad that you were able to do things differently than your adopted mom. Yeesh!

Chickie said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Mauigirl said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Annette said...

Happy Mother's Day.. Glad things worked out for you in the long run.. sometimes we learn how NOT to be by how we are treated. Sounds like you learned well...

Immortal Woman said...

Hope you had a great Mother's Day! Your kids have to know how lucky they are.

MommyLisa said...

I remember reading the book and watching the movie and hugging my dear mommy. More June Cleaver than anything else - read, after school snacks were cookies or baked versions of smores, not that she wore pearls while she vaccumed.

My uncle was actually friends with Joan Crawford, not a joke, and visited her often. He said Christina was an "ungrateful little brat." when the movie came out and I asked him if he would see it.

MommyLisa said...

OH - Happy Mother's Day. I would want you for a mom any day! But, I am too old foryou to be my mom~!!! :)

yellowdoggranny said...

it's too bad a bad example helped make you a good example...happy mothers day